For the third year, the program hosted a table at DeafNation, October 20th. DeafNation is the only event of its kind; in the NW the show alternates between Seattle and Portland. The Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf-Blind, interpreters and families from around the region come to get the latest information, technology and visit with old friends.
Attendees made an effort to stop by and say hi – or give hugs! – to staff Mary Rabourn and paid volunteer interpreter Charnell Bolger. Repeat and new visitors expressed their appreciation that our agency is sharing product safety and disposal information.
And some scary stories were told about accidents with hazardous prodcuts in the home. One tip in the garage: don’t clean up spilled brake fluid with bleach! It will create a very dangerous toxic gas.
This event is an excellent opportunity for agencies and staff to:
- meet the Deaf community
- fine tune plain language and displays
- gain a firsthand understanding of the international, multiethnic, and variations in the use of sign language
- observe literacy challenges
- improve survey techniques
- build relationships
- become a community partner
- share your information and options to get involved